10 Reasons to Pray a Public Square Rosary
“The Rosary will be a very powerful armour against hell; it will destroy vice, deliver from sin and dispel heresy.” Our Lady to Saint Dominic
1. The Miracle of the Sun was public: On 13 October 1917, Our Lady performed a miracle witnessed by 70,000 people, including atheists, communists and anti-Catholics. Some of them converted. The Public Square Rosary Rallies will remind the person on the street that conversion is possible.
2. Reach fallen-away Catholics: According to research, only a small percentage of Catholics attend Mass. The Public Square Rosary is a great way to reach the non-practicing Catholics. If they see you praying in a public place, they may be moved to become better Catholics.
3. Public prayer gets results: Pro-life Catholics have peacefully prayed the Rosary in front of abortion clinics for decades. The power of their prayer has blunted the advance of abortion. Their public prayers save lives. In fact, many of these clinics have closed down.
4. Be a Fatima apostle: Our Lord sent the apostles forth to teach all nations. Praying the Rosary in public is an excellent way to introduce others to the Catholic Faith and the Fatima message. “Now no man lighting a candle covereth it with a vessel, or putteth it under a bed; but setteth it upon a candlestick, that they who come in may see the light” (St. Luke 8:16).
5. Public sins require public reparation: Our culture openly flaunts sin. You hear it on public airwaves, on primetime TV, on the Internet. Laws favour all types of sin and degradation and boundaries are constantly being pushed. Your Rosary Rally will be a public act of reparation for these sins hurled against the Immaculate Heart of Mary and the Sacred Heart of Jesus. Your public Rosary will console God. At Fatima, Our Lady said to the children: “You saw hell, where the souls of poor sinners go. To save them, God wishes to establish devotion to my Immaculate Heart in the world.”
6. Will the media promote Fatima? Never! It’s up to us to promote devotion to Mary “outside the choir.” To pray the Rosary in the public square is a powerful way to promote its recitation. Catholics must not be ashamed of their Faith. “Every one therefore that shall confess me before men, I will also confess him before my Father Who is in heaven” (St. Matthew 10:32). During public Rosary rallies already held, non-Catholics have stopped and asked for Rosaries, wanting to learn how to pray.
7. Public Rosaries in history: At the end of World War II, Communist Soviet troops occupied Vienna, Austria. They refused to leave. Yet, after massive public Rosary processions led by Fr. Petrus Pavlicek, the Communist invaders packed up and left. Large-scale public Rosaries were likewise credited for foiling a Communist takeover in Brazil in 1964. If the Rosary saved these countries, it can, with some effort, move souls and save South Africa from the slippery slope downwards.
8. Duty to honour God publicly: Secularists have been attempting to drive religion and morality out of the public square. This must not happen! Catholics have the duty to oppose the secularist agenda. We openly honour God and respect His rights. The 2017 Public Square Rosary Crusades will make the point.
9. Preparing for Our Lady’s triumph: The Immaculate Heart of Mary will triumph over evil. It is a great privilege to be among those who trust in her triumph and honour her in the public square. Imagine more than 1250 Public Square Rosary Rallies this year! This historic campaign will hasten God’s victory, attract blessings on South Africa, and surely strengthen every Rosary Captain and every Rally participant.
10. Public prayer is powerful: In his monumental work, The Secret of the Rosary, Saint Louis Marie de Montfort states: “Public prayer is far more powerful than private prayer to appease the anger of God and call down His mercy, and Holy Mother Church, guided by the Holy Ghost, has always advocated public prayer in times of public tragedy and suffering.”